ArtsMinded column: Gala is a night of revelry in honor of the arts
As a hit song from 1926 goes:
When the red, red robin comes
Bob-bob bobbin' along, along
There'll be no more sobbin' when
He starts throbbin' his old sweet song
Wake up, wake up you sleepy head
Get up, get up, get out of bed
Cheer up, cheer up, the sun is red
Live, love, laugh and be happy.
Just around the corner at 6 p.m. Saturday, April 27, the River Falls Community Arts Base 24th annual Spring Gala is gearing up for just this. We're all invited to a night of revelry in support of the arts, with a Roaring Twenties theme featuring music by The Mouldy Figs, a vintage New Orleans-style jazz band. Dressing up in a Roaring Twenties outfit is a creative option.
Besides hosting the area's largest silent art auction and raffle, the Gala also presents a collection of gifts from generous artists and local businesses, providing a rich, diverse representation of our community.
Elegant hors d' oeuvres, a cash bar, music, dancing, art work, meeting artists, friends and neighbors, all make for a special evening. This Gala plays an important role in helping fund the many events CAB hosts each year - Art on the Kinni, Music in the Park, Community Barn Dances, and more!
Advance tickets are available at Art's House, First National Bank of River Falls, Junior's Restaurant and Tap House, Mei Mei's Cookies and Creamery and Freeman Drug. Tickets are $35 at the door, $30 in advance. CAB members get an additional $5 discount.
Artists may bring their Spring Gala silent auction works to Art's House, 108 E. Maple St., River Falls. Each artist may submit up to five pieces for the silent auction and receives one free ticket to the event. For more information, contact Steve, 608-698-6508 www.riverfallscab.org
• Call for artists: River Falls Municipal Utilities and CAB seek local artists' proposals for the Utility Box Beautification initiative. Submission deadline, May 9. www.rfmu.org/CAB
• Continuing through April 28, Student art show, Orange Dragon Art Gallery, 122 Orange St., Prescott. www.OrangeDragonGallery.org
• Continuing through May 5, What We Need Is Here Art Exhibit "Under Our Feet" (closing reception Friday, May 3, 6:30 p.m.) and High School Art Exhibit (closing reception Sunday, May 5, 1:30 p.m.). The Phipps Center For The Arts, 109 Locust St., Hudson. www.thephipps.org
• Continuing through May 14, All-school Art Show, RF Public Library, 140 Union St, www.riverfallspubliclibrary.org
The following UW-RF events are free, at Kleinpell Fine Arts, Abbott Concert Hall, 7:30 p.m., except where noted. 715-425-3183, www.uwrf.edu/MUS/CalendarEvents
• Thursday, April 25, RADD Jazz Earth Day Concert, Sue McKenzie, saxophone
• Saturday, April 27, RADD Jazz Ensemble, Sue McKenzie
• Sunday, April 28, Combined Choirs, adults $8, Seniors $5, students $2, children under 6 free
• Thursday, May 2, 7 p.m. Tonal Silence Acapella classic pop songs.
• Saturday, May 4, Percussion / New Music
• Sunday, May 5, 4 p.m. St. Croix Valley Symphony Orchestra, Irish Tenor Anthony Kearns, St. Patrick's Church, 1500 Vine St., Hudson, ticket and cost info www.thephipps.org
• Tuesday, May 7, Falcon Band
• Thursday, May 9, Symphony and University Bands
• Coffee Concerts, Fridays at noon, reception:
• April 19, St. Croix Piano Trio
• April 26, Marika Bournaki, piano
• May 3, Piano duo, Ivan Konev, Oleg Levin
• Thursday - Saturday, April 30 - May 4, UW-RF Stage and Screen Arts presents "Proof," KFA Syse Theatre, ticket info 715-425-3114.
• Monday, April 22, 6:30 p.m. "Voices Among the Waters" Earth Day Poetry, RF Public Library, 140 Union St. Free. Donations welcome, to help Kinnickinnic River Land Trust's clean-up.
• Sunday, April 28, 3-5 p.m. After Hours Big Band Swing Dance, First Congregational - UCC, 110 N. Third St. Reception. Free. Sponsored by Music at First Church Series. For more information, call Dianne, 715- 425-6258.
• Friday, May 3, 4-8 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, May 4-5, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Art Opener, St. Croix Valley Studio Tour, ten locations. www.artopener.com
• Saturday, May 11, 1-3 p.m. CAB Art reception, Art's House, 108 E. Maple, RF (art openings every second Saturday, except January), www.riverfallscab.org
• Save the dates June 20-23, River Falls Community Theatre presents a musical revue, "Forbidden Broadway," at Juniors. www.rfcommunitytheatre.org
• Starting Friday, June 21, 7 p.m. and every Friday/Saturday through Aug. 31, CAB Music In The Park, Veterans Park, Main Street, RF.
Other sources for classes and/or events:
• Kinnickinnic Clayworks potters invite you to throw, trim and glaze pottery. 109 W. Cedar St. RF, 715 821-3982 www.kinniclay.com
• River Falls Public Library www.riverfallspubliclibrary.org
• River Falls Community Theatre at www.facebook.com
• Fox Den Books, 120 S. Main St., RF 715-425-6180, www.foxdenbooks.com
• The Phipps Center For The Arts, 109 Locust St. Hudson, www.thephipps.org
• Hammond Arts Alliance www.facebook.com/hammondartsalliance/