Freddy's Dairy Bar grand opening set for Oct. 10
If it's true as some say that ice cream makes you happy, then the students at the University of Wisconsin-River Falls are very happy with the opening of a new storefront for Falcon Foods called Freddy's Dairy Bar.
A grand opening celebration of the new store is set for Wednesday, Oct. 10, during UWRF's Homecoming week. Proudly serving the UWRF campus and the River Falls community, Freddy's Dairy Bar hours are 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesday through Friday, as well as select Saturdays.
The store, located on the second floor of the Agricultural Science building (Room 212A), features ice cream cones, malts, shakes, cheese and other foods including frozen packages of UWRF brats.
The grand opening will include a brief program with speakers including College of Agriculture, Food and Environmental Sciences Dean Dale Gallenberg; Chancellor Dean Van Galen; and agricultural education major and Dairy Pilot Plant student worker Emily Herness. UWRF mascot Freddy Falcon will also make an appearance.
Following the ribbon-cutting, the celebration continues with specials and giveaways throughout the day.
• 11 a.m. to noon - Enter drawing for a Freddy's Dairy Bar T-Shirt (winner chosen at noon).
• Noon-1 p.m. - Free single topping with purchase.
• 1-2 p.m. - First 20 people get a Freddy's Dairy Bar sticker with any purchase.
• 2-3 p.m. - Enter drawing for a Freddy's Dairy Bar Hat (winner chosen at 3 p.m.).
• 3-4 p.m. - First 20 people get a Freddy's Dairy Bar sticker with any purchase.
• 4-6 p.m. - After School Special: Receive a free single scoop cone for kids age 12 and under with any other purchase.
• All day: Stop by Freddy's Dairy Bar and drop your business card in the all-day drawing for a chance to win 10 free scoop tokens to pass along to co-workers at your workplace.
• All day: Take a selfie with your ice cream purchase and publicly share it on Instagram (tag @FreddysDairyBar and use #FreddysDairyBar) or on Facebook (tag @FreddysDairyBar and use #FreddysDairyBar) to enter in a drawing for a free Freddy's Flight (six ice cream scoop dish).
Additional details and grand opening specials can be found on Instagram (@FreddysDairyBar) and Facebook pages (UW-River Falls Freddy's Dairy Bar) or at go.uwrf.edu/dairybar
"The new Freddy's Dairy Bar has been a big hit with students and staff," said Katarina Nemitz, animal science major and student manager of Freddy's Dairy Bar. "The new store location and the fact that we can now offer hand-dipped cones, shakes, malts and floats has drawn a lot of interest. It's fun to tell visiting prospective students how I made most of the cheese and ice cream in our Dairy Plant with the milk from the cows on our Mann Valley Farm."
The UWRF Dairy Pilot Plant provides valuable learning experiences for UWRF students. Students are involved in all aspects of production, sanitation and quality control, providing them the unique opportunity to work in a commercial plant setting.
The Dairy Pilot Plant is currently undergoing renovations. Equipment installation is scheduled to begin during spring semester with initial product trials starting before summer 2019. The project in part is funded by the State, with the majority of the funds coming through generous support from industry partners. To date, approximately $1.7 million in cash has been pledged toward the project and more than $500,000 of in-kind equipment has been committed.
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 715-425-4714.