Firefighters called to River Falls apartment complex
A building was evacuated Wednesday in River Falls while firefighters responded to a minor apartment fire.
The incident, reported at about 5:30 p.m. Dec. 21, led to an evacuation of the building at 222 E. Locust St.
Property owner Rhonda Davison said the incident was contained to a third-story unit. She and River Falls Assistant Fire Chief Mike Moody said the apartment sustained heavy smoke damage. Fire damage appeared to be minimal, Moody noted.
“It could have been much worse,” Davison, who co-owns the complex with her husband Steve Davison, said, adding, “it’s a very unfortunate situation.”
Evacuated tenants were allowed to return later that night, she said.
Details on the fire’s cause weren’t immediately available, but Davison said it appeared a tenant arrived home and discovered the fire.
Davison said the incident highlights the importance of renters’ insurance. It appeared at least one of the tenants in the unit didn’t have possessions insured, she said.
She also said that while smoke detectors worked properly during Wednesday’s incident, tenants should always be sure they function. If that means calling a landlord when things malfunction, Davison said renters should do that.
“Some landlords don’t want to hear about it, but we sure do,” she said.