Sections

Weather Forecast

Close

New Richmond girl, 14, charged with attempted homicide

History

July 10, 2015
During the very early years there were no saloons in the village of River Falls. The Journal once bragged that the first saloon established in the village went bankrupt because of lack of patronage. The tavern and brewery showed above was established in the 1860s by Karl Krauth, a German immigrant. It was located in the approximate location of the Rodli, Beskar and Boles Law Office at 219 N. Main Street. (ARC photo.)
Days Gone By: 1888 saw the rise of temperance groups and the fall of saloons in the city
July 10, 2015 - 9:39am
June 30, 2015
Samples of Tubbs medicine labels. Photos courtesy of Steve Libbey of mrbottles.com and wisantique.com, a group of historians, collectors and treasure hunters who focus on Wisconsin antiques, artifacts and history.
Days Gone By: Elixirs, liniments, and pain relievers
June 30, 2015 - 1:05pm
June 17, 2015
The Oliver S. Powell family was among the earliest group of Yankee settlers who emigrated to the River Falls region in the 1850s. along with his brother Nathaniel, O.S. Powell was active in several important community projects, including the campaign to establish the River Falls State Normal School in 1874. Powell’s untimely death in 1888 spelled doom for the thriving “sugar manufactory” he had established in 1880. (Area Research Center  photo)
Days Gone By: Sugar -- once a thriving business, until tragedy struck
June 17, 2015 - 9:20am
May 28, 2015
The River Falls Cigar Factory was housed in the upper rooms of this Main Street building for a short time during the 1890s. At that time the building at 109-111 N. Main Street was known as the “Boxrud Block.” (UW-River Falls Area Research Center photo).
Days Gone By: Cigar Factory in River Falls
May 28, 2015 - 3:34pm
May 18, 2015
A returning favorite, actor Jim Blaha, will bring to life the “spirit” of Hudson’s own William H. Phipps during the June 6th Willow River Cemetery Walk. (Submitted photo)
Cast named for June 6 Cemetery Walk
May 18, 2015 - 9:07am
May 7, 2015
This portrait from the St. Croix County Historical Society’s photo collection shows three generations; grandmother Kathryn DeMaster seated, mother Pauline “Lena” (DeMaster) Anderson and her child. (Submitted photo)
Free Mother’s Day tours at the Octagon House Museum
May 7, 2015 - 2:51pm
May 5, 2015
Old Glen Park Pavilion photos?
May 5, 2015 - 10:42am
April 22, 2015
The kitchen in Glen Park provided a place for visitors to prepare picnic meals. When it was being vandalized in the early 1900s, the city council stepped in and passed an ordinance protecting the park from those who would damage it.
Days Gone By: Glen Park and a request from a reader
April 22, 2015 - 8:19am
April 13, 2015
River Falls Main Street looked like this 100 years ago when the city’s articles of incorporation were signed. The photo from the M.A. Shepard Collection was provided by UW-River Falls Archives. Shown is the west side of Main Street between Maple and Pine.
Days Gone By: History of River Falls, from the beginning
April 13, 2015 - 12:57pm
The South Main bridge over the South Fork between Vine and Park Streets bore two speed limit signs when this picture was taken. One was in English and the other in Norwegian with the message “$5.00 Five Dollars Fine for riding or driving on this bridge faster than a walk.” One of the first laws passed by the first River Falls City Council was a speed limit on bridges in the city. UWRF archives.
Days Gone By: The First Ordinances
April 13, 2015 - 12:56pm
Photo was taken on April 13, 1913,  front row, from left, Cliff Symes, Geo. J. Dodge, Rosh Freeman, 1st chief; J. Walter Patterson, chief; Ernest Buck, 2nd chief; Bert Symes and A.F. Moody. Second row: Cliff Symes, W.S. Smith, James Peterson, George Hutchins Sr., A.E. Chapman, Ed Anderson, H.T. Richards, C.E. Shepard (sec.), Wm. Fisher, Joe J. Foster, Ben Rosenberg, Frank L. Baker, H.M. Elertson, Wm. F. Green, James A. Richards and Ray J. Roehl. River Falls Journal file photo.
Days Gone By: First Fire Department
April 13, 2015 - 12:55pm
March 20, 2015
Days Gone By
March 20, 2015 - 4:01pm
February 27, 2015
After the meat is cut up into small squares, it is run through the “grinder” as Bob Appleholm is doing in Malmer Brothers meat department. 1975 Journal file photos.
Days Gone By: 1975 Malmer Brothers Red & White Grocery Store
February 27, 2015 - 12:34pm
January 30, 2015
In front, from left are: Andrea Elliott, Megan Faustini, Aarsheim, Damian Overby and Danielle Durand. In back are: Alysa Viellieux, Deanna Wronski, Ben Harris, Derek Hartmon, Mark Olson, T.J. Lee. Absent from the group were Riley Larson and Jayson Dahlby. (Journal file photo).
Days Gone By: Sledding in 2005
January 30, 2015 - 3:30pm
January 21, 2015
Ryan John, son of Kathleen and Lawrence “Bernie” Purfeerst of River Falls, checked in at St. Joseph Hospital at 11:05 a.m. on Friday, Jan. 3, 1975 to become the first baby of 1975 to be born here. Journal file photo.
Days Gone By: First baby of 1975
January 21, 2015 - 12:17pm
randomness