Sections

Weather Forecast

Close

columns

July 10, 2015
During the very early years there were no saloons in the village of River Falls. The Journal once bragged that the first saloon established in the village went bankrupt because of lack of patronage. The tavern and brewery showed above was established in the 1860s by Karl Krauth, a German immigrant. It was located in the approximate location of the Rodli, Beskar and Boles Law Office at 219 N. Main Street. (ARC photo.)
Days Gone By: 1888 saw the rise of temperance groups and the fall of saloons in the city
July 10, 2015 - 9:39am
June 30, 2015
Samples of Tubbs medicine labels. Photos courtesy of Steve Libbey of mrbottles.com and wisantique.com, a group of historians, collectors and treasure hunters who focus on Wisconsin antiques, artifacts and history.
Days Gone By: Elixirs, liniments, and pain relievers
June 30, 2015 - 1:05pm
June 17, 2015
The Oliver S. Powell family was among the earliest group of Yankee settlers who emigrated to the River Falls region in the 1850s. along with his brother Nathaniel, O.S. Powell was active in several important community projects, including the campaign to establish the River Falls State Normal School in 1874. Powell’s untimely death in 1888 spelled doom for the thriving “sugar manufactory” he had established in 1880. (Area Research Center  photo)
Days Gone By: Sugar -- once a thriving business, until tragedy struck
June 17, 2015 - 9:20am
June 15, 2015
Green slime in Big Round Lake in Polk County. (Dan Wilcox photo)
Wild Side: Green slime stinks of greed
June 15, 2015 - 4:18pm
May 28, 2015
The River Falls Cigar Factory was housed in the upper rooms of this Main Street building for a short time during the 1890s. At that time the building at 109-111 N. Main Street was known as the “Boxrud Block.” (UW-River Falls Area Research Center photo).
Days Gone By: Cigar Factory in River Falls
May 28, 2015 - 3:34pm
May 26, 2015
Poetic lines 300 years old still resonate
May 26, 2015 - 11:13am
May 10, 2015
Dave Wood's Book Report: Pulitzers - some deserving, some not
May 10, 2015 - 11:14am
April 22, 2015
The kitchen in Glen Park provided a place for visitors to prepare picnic meals. When it was being vandalized in the early 1900s, the city council stepped in and passed an ordinance protecting the park from those who would damage it.
Days Gone By: Glen Park and a request from a reader
April 22, 2015 - 8:19am
April 17, 2015
Wild Side: Fire renews the prairie
April 17, 2015 - 2:10pm
April 13, 2015
River Falls Main Street looked like this 100 years ago when the city’s articles of incorporation were signed. The photo from the M.A. Shepard Collection was provided by UW-River Falls Archives. Shown is the west side of Main Street between Maple and Pine.
Days Gone By: History of River Falls, from the beginning
April 13, 2015 - 12:57pm
Photo was taken on April 13, 1913,  front row, from left, Cliff Symes, Geo. J. Dodge, Rosh Freeman, 1st chief; J. Walter Patterson, chief; Ernest Buck, 2nd chief; Bert Symes and A.F. Moody. Second row: Cliff Symes, W.S. Smith, James Peterson, George Hutchins Sr., A.E. Chapman, Ed Anderson, H.T. Richards, C.E. Shepard (sec.), Wm. Fisher, Joe J. Foster, Ben Rosenberg, Frank L. Baker, H.M. Elertson, Wm. F. Green, James A. Richards and Ray J. Roehl. River Falls Journal file photo.
Days Gone By: First Fire Department
April 13, 2015 - 12:55pm
April 3, 2015
Box elders falling into upper Plum Creek in Pierce County. (Dan Wilcox photo).
Wild Side: Box elder trees are tough survivors
April 3, 2015 - 10:38am
March 20, 2015
Days Gone By
March 20, 2015 - 4:01pm
March 6, 2015
Wild Side: Big birds back from verge of extinction
March 6, 2015 - 8:24am
February 27, 2015
After the meat is cut up into small squares, it is run through the “grinder” as Bob Appleholm is doing in Malmer Brothers meat department. 1975 Journal file photos.
Days Gone By: 1975 Malmer Brothers Red & White Grocery Store
February 27, 2015 - 12:34pm
randomness