Weather Forecast



July 11, 2015
Featured guest column: Want to park in my driveway? Bring change
July 11, 2015 - 6:00am
July 10, 2015
During the very early years there were no saloons in the village of River Falls. The Journal once bragged that the first saloon established in the village went bankrupt because of lack of patronage. The tavern and brewery showed above was established in the 1860s by Karl Krauth, a German immigrant. It was located in the approximate location of the Rodli, Beskar and Boles Law Office at 219 N. Main Street. (ARC photo.)
Days Gone By: 1888 saw the rise of temperance groups and the fall of saloons in the city
July 10, 2015 - 9:39am
June 30, 2015
Samples of Tubbs medicine labels. Photos courtesy of Steve Libbey of and, a group of historians, collectors and treasure hunters who focus on Wisconsin antiques, artifacts and history.
Days Gone By: Elixirs, liniments, and pain relievers
June 30, 2015 - 1:05pm
June 27, 2015
Dave Wood, columnist
Featured column: My gardening career: From potato bugs to soil fungus
June 27, 2015 - 6:00am
June 17, 2015
The Oliver S. Powell family was among the earliest group of Yankee settlers who emigrated to the River Falls region in the 1850s. along with his brother Nathaniel, O.S. Powell was active in several important community projects, including the campaign to establish the River Falls State Normal School in 1874. Powell’s untimely death in 1888 spelled doom for the thriving “sugar manufactory” he had established in 1880. (Area Research Center  photo)
Days Gone By: Sugar -- once a thriving business, until tragedy struck
June 17, 2015 - 9:20am
June 12, 2015
Sadie Horton
Ready for a summer of experiences
June 12, 2015 - 4:00pm
May 28, 2015
The River Falls Cigar Factory was housed in the upper rooms of this Main Street building for a short time during the 1890s. At that time the building at 109-111 N. Main Street was known as the “Boxrud Block.” (UW-River Falls Area Research Center photo).
Days Gone By: Cigar Factory in River Falls
May 28, 2015 - 3:34pm
May 27, 2015
Matt Pommer, syndicated columnist for the Wisconsin Newspaper Association
Featured syndicated column: Public tax dollars that go to pay for vouchers brings outcry
May 27, 2015 - 3:50pm
May 26, 2015
Poetic lines 300 years old still resonate
May 26, 2015 - 11:13am
April 24, 2015
Burhyte’s Store, 101 N. Main Street, played an important part in the early fires in the city, as that is where the “bucket brigade” of citizens went to “borrow” buckets to douse the flames. The problem was that not all of the buckets were always returned. (UW-River Falls archives photo)
Day's Gone By: Bucket Brigades
April 24, 2015 - 10:45am
April 22, 2015
The kitchen in Glen Park provided a place for visitors to prepare picnic meals. When it was being vandalized in the early 1900s, the city council stepped in and passed an ordinance protecting the park from those who would damage it.
Days Gone By: Glen Park and a request from a reader
April 22, 2015 - 8:19am
April 13, 2015
River Falls Main Street looked like this 100 years ago when the city’s articles of incorporation were signed. The photo from the M.A. Shepard Collection was provided by UW-River Falls Archives. Shown is the west side of Main Street between Maple and Pine.
Days Gone By: History of River Falls, from the beginning
April 13, 2015 - 12:57pm
The South Main bridge over the South Fork between Vine and Park Streets bore two speed limit signs when this picture was taken. One was in English and the other in Norwegian with the message “$5.00 Five Dollars Fine for riding or driving on this bridge faster than a walk.” One of the first laws passed by the first River Falls City Council was a speed limit on bridges in the city. UWRF archives.
Days Gone By: The First Ordinances
April 13, 2015 - 12:56pm
Photo was taken on April 13, 1913,  front row, from left, Cliff Symes, Geo. J. Dodge, Rosh Freeman, 1st chief; J. Walter Patterson, chief; Ernest Buck, 2nd chief; Bert Symes and A.F. Moody. Second row: Cliff Symes, W.S. Smith, James Peterson, George Hutchins Sr., A.E. Chapman, Ed Anderson, H.T. Richards, C.E. Shepard (sec.), Wm. Fisher, Joe J. Foster, Ben Rosenberg, Frank L. Baker, H.M. Elertson, Wm. F. Green, James A. Richards and Ray J. Roehl. River Falls Journal file photo.
Days Gone By: First Fire Department
April 13, 2015 - 12:55pm
April 3, 2015
By Matt Pommer, syndicated columnist for the Wisconsin Newspaper Association
Featured syndicated column: 'Force to be reckoned with: Political clout of seniors'
April 3, 2015 - 4:30pm