Weather Forecast


Days Gone By: Oct. 10, 2013

Representing John Sales and Service at the 1963 homecoming parade was a horse-drawn wagon driven by Georgianne and Tom Solum, children of Mr. and Mrs. Jerome Solum. About 5,000 persons watched the parade. (Journal file photo)

20 YEARS AGO, OCT. 14, 1993

Native sons of River Falls, John James Prucha and Norman “Bud” Foss, recently announced the completion and publication of their book, “Kinnickinnic Years.” The book focuses on life in River Falls from 1930-1950.

Natalie Kusilek was again offering water aerobics at Super 8 Motel’s swimming pool, and Jack Burich’s jazznastics classes were beginning at the West school gym.

It was a first for about 50 St. Bridget Parish School students. They were paid to be Minnesota Twins fans. The kids and 11 adults accompanying them spent the day at the Metrodome helping provide crowd scenes in a Castle Rock Entertainment movie, “Little League.” “I never realized you could take so many shots of someone coming to a base and leaving a base,” reported Bill Murphy, president of St. Bridget’s Home and School Society. The school will receive $2,000 for providing the extras.

The intersection of Hwys. 29 and 65, just east of Moody’s Chevrolet racked up some ugly totals in just one week: Five accidents, three traffic citations, nine injuries, and one death. The DOT has asked for more “rumble strips” and an extra stop sign to be installed.

30 YEARS AGO, OCT. 13, 1983

A nine-day period was scheduled for those wanting to burn leaves in their yards.

New Walvern Hotel owner Gary Sukowatey, along with manager Steve Dumond and assistant Mike Kluesner, invited the community to their grand opening featuring a drawing for a color television set.

Sophomore Craig Peterson, son of Larry and Barb, completed his Eagle Scout project, a new scoreboard for Hoffman field.

Terri Hamilton, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Delbert Hamilton, was crowned homecoming queen for the high school.

40 YEARS AGO, OCT. 11, 1973

Grad students Tim Ericson, Elberta Matters and history prof. James King were busy researching county history and records to identify and register buildings of historical or architectural significance in the area.

Street commissioner Don Johnson reminded city residents that the burning of leaves on public property is prohibited. Also citizens are asked not to put grass cuttings, tree branches, leaves, etc., along city streets or on the boulevards.

Reilly Carpet and Furniture Cleaners, 303 N. Winter St., offered wall washing, insurance work and soot and smoke damage clean up.

50 YEARS AGO, OCT. 10, 1963

Ralph Corbin had purchased and was busy refurbishing Ed Stock’s pool room on North Main Street.

With a good deal of enthusiasm, over 40 persons attended a meeting to organize the River Falls Rod & Gun Club, electing John Eisele, Mel Germanson and Hank Tousley as officers.

According to city records, $1,375,175 worth of buildings had been started in 1963, a sizeable increase from the previous year. Homes built by local contractors averaged in price from $15,000 to $17,000.

Twin daughters of Mr. and Mrs. Wilfred and Leona Andrle, Charlene and Darlene, were attending Aspiranture at Nazareth on the Lake, Order of St. Joseph., in Superior. St. Bridget’s parish awarded the twins a year’s scholarship upon graduation from eighth grade last spring.

Pat Hunter can be reached by emailing or call 715-425-1561.