Weather Forecast


Days Gone By: Jan. 31, 2013

Journal file photo.

10 YEARS AGO, FEB. 6, 2003

In local business news, John "Doc" Berggren passed his veterinary business at 1055 E. Cascade Ave., to Dick Jones-Witthuhn, who will be moving his Kinni Croix Veterinary Hospital there; Joe Karras started Karras & Associates, a remodeling business, at 215 N. Second Street; River Falls Chamber of Commerce was settling into its new location at 214 N. Main St.; and Express Loans opened shop at 703 N. Main Street.

Self-made businessman Don Jenson died Jan. 27 and was remembered by the community in a Journal article printed this week. He and wife Jeanette began their beverage distribution business on Hwy. 35 in 1965.

Greenwood Elementary students raised fund by participating in a recycling program. Media specialist Judy Lefeber urged the community to drop off their cell phones and ink cartridges at the school.

20 YEARS AGO, FEB. 4, 1993

Area scouts Joe Overland, and brothers Brent and Derek Westrum earned their Eagle Scout awards. Joe's project including cleaning the Willow River State Park camping and beach areas; Brent's was to create a "communication center" at Ezekiel Lutheran Church, and Derek's involving clearing debris from hiking and snowmobile trials at Willow River State Park.

In a marked change from attendance in years past, 125 people packed into the West Wind Supper Club to honor Citizen of the Year Vern Lindquist and welcome three new directors: Joleen Larson, Roger Karshbaum and Gary Hainley.

Eighteen years ago Craig Nelson represented River Falls as a 167-ound wrestler in Madison at the State Meet. This year he will be returning as a referee.

30 YEARS AGO, FEB. 3, 1983

Ann Rupert was the only senior on the A honor roll for the first semester at the high school.

Mary Jane Pope, Maralee Rodli and Patty Burks moved their bookstore, the Paperback Trader, from upstairs in the Second Story Shops to the former pet shop on Elm Street and changed the name to Tradewinds Book Store.

Ted Nicholson was named "Fireman of the Year."

Dr. R.A. and Dorothy Pennington celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary.

40 YEARS AGO, FEB. 1, 1973

Melissa Grubb, Tom Field and Betsy Brandt were confirmed at Trinity Episcopal Church.

Doug Jenkins announced he was offering All Star Wrestling with Super Star Billy Graham vs. Don Muraco as the main event at Das Spielhaus. Also appearing will be Big K vs. Ken Patera, George Scott vs. Tinker Todd and John Heideman vs. Jim Brunzell. Tickets were $4 for ringside, $3 general.

Local manager for America Telephone and Telegraph Company said area residents placed more than 6.4 million calls a year, an average of 720 calls per year by every man, woman and child living in the local exchange, with 5,627 telephones in River Falls.

50 YEARS AGO, JAN. 31, 1963

The college faculty voted 55 to 33 to allow local fraternities to be formed on the campus.

Fall Out Shelters in Pierce County having a protection factor of four or better have been counted and marked by the federal government. The next phase will be stocking with food, water, medical supplies and radiological detection equipment. The three largest are the sand mine at Bay City to be stocked for 10,000 people; the one at Maiden Rock for 5,000 and the state college at River Falls for 4,000. The fall out shelter in the basement of the courthouse has room for 80 and will be stocked to take care of those 80 for two weeks.

60 YEARS AGO, FEB. 5, 1953

M.A. Shepard retired from active business the first of February after having been continuously in the photographic field here since 1906.

Abe Benson purchased the interest of his partner, A.J. Bjerstedt in the Bjerstedt and Benson clothing store, due to Bjerstedt's failing health.

Mrs. Wm. Solley, wife of assistance coach "Col" Solley at River Falls College, gave birth to the first baby in the new hospital at Hudson.

Correction: A few weeks ago this column covered Pauly Cudd's restoring of the house at 615 Oak Knoll Avenue. Previous owners should have included Bill and Marvel Allen who purchased it in 1986 and were the owners who sold to Pauly.