Sections

Weather Forecast

Close

opinion

August 24, 2015
When the Normal School burned in 1897, classes and administrative offices were moved to churches and other buildings throughout town. One of those used was the "Methodist-Episcopal" Church. It was so new at the time that it had not even been used for worship yet. (ARC photo).
Days Gone By: Community rallies, rebuilds Normal School
August 24, 2015 - 12:53pm
August 14, 2015
Featured column: In The Front Row: Always more fun when you're in on the joke
August 14, 2015 - 3:51pm
August 6, 2015
Featured Letter to the Editor: Call this one a trip well worth it
August 6, 2015 - 5:00pm
August 3, 2015
Almost immediately after George Theodore Smith purchased the brickyard in 1898 he received an enormous contract -- South Hall, which replaced the Normal School building which had been destroyed in 1897. Unfortunately after this, sales became harder. In order to dispose of his bricks Smith used them to build homes (two examples are just east of the Academy Building). The fine new homes sold well, allowing Smith to dispose of most of his bricks by this means. (Photo from ARC)
Days Gone By: Flourishing local brickyard burned in July of 1889
August 3, 2015 - 12:25pm
July 20, 2015
Prohibition was the dominant political issue in River Falls during the 1880s and 1890s. The above photo comes from a later period, showing the interior of the old Martin Wolff saloon, one of those which was part of the ongoing controversy at the end of the19th century. Today the building is the home of Glass Express, 202 N. Main Street. (ARC photo)
Days Gone By: Battle between ‘wets’ and ‘drys’ raged on and on
July 20, 2015 - 4:07pm
July 11, 2015
Featured guest column: Want to park in my driveway? Bring change
July 11, 2015 - 6:00am
July 10, 2015
During the very early years there were no saloons in the village of River Falls. The Journal once bragged that the first saloon established in the village went bankrupt because of lack of patronage. The tavern and brewery showed above was established in the 1860s by Karl Krauth, a German immigrant. It was located in the approximate location of the Rodli, Beskar and Boles Law Office at 219 N. Main Street. (ARC photo.)
Days Gone By: 1888 saw the rise of temperance groups and the fall of saloons in the city
July 10, 2015 - 9:39am
June 30, 2015
Samples of Tubbs medicine labels. Photos courtesy of Steve Libbey of mrbottles.com and wisantique.com, a group of historians, collectors and treasure hunters who focus on Wisconsin antiques, artifacts and history.
Days Gone By: Elixirs, liniments, and pain relievers
June 30, 2015 - 1:05pm
June 27, 2015
Dave Wood, columnist
Featured column: My gardening career: From potato bugs to soil fungus
June 27, 2015 - 6:00am
June 17, 2015
The Oliver S. Powell family was among the earliest group of Yankee settlers who emigrated to the River Falls region in the 1850s. along with his brother Nathaniel, O.S. Powell was active in several important community projects, including the campaign to establish the River Falls State Normal School in 1874. Powell’s untimely death in 1888 spelled doom for the thriving “sugar manufactory” he had established in 1880. (Area Research Center  photo)
Days Gone By: Sugar -- once a thriving business, until tragedy struck
June 17, 2015 - 9:20am
June 12, 2015
Sadie Horton
Ready for a summer of experiences
June 12, 2015 - 4:00pm
May 28, 2015
The River Falls Cigar Factory was housed in the upper rooms of this Main Street building for a short time during the 1890s. At that time the building at 109-111 N. Main Street was known as the “Boxrud Block.” (UW-River Falls Area Research Center photo).
Days Gone By: Cigar Factory in River Falls
May 28, 2015 - 3:34pm
May 27, 2015
Matt Pommer, syndicated columnist for the Wisconsin Newspaper Association
Featured syndicated column: Public tax dollars that go to pay for vouchers brings outcry
May 27, 2015 - 3:50pm
May 26, 2015
Poetic lines 300 years old still resonate
May 26, 2015 - 11:13am
April 24, 2015
Burhyte’s Store, 101 N. Main Street, played an important part in the early fires in the city, as that is where the “bucket brigade” of citizens went to “borrow” buckets to douse the flames. The problem was that not all of the buckets were always returned. (UW-River Falls archives photo)
Day's Gone By: Bucket Brigades
April 24, 2015 - 10:45am
randomness