Arts Minded column: Coming together as 'Crokicurl'
Flying back home to ice and snow country, I dug into a story in the January 2018 issue of Delta Sky. Ordinarily I might not pay it much mind, but an article titled "Right on the Button" referenced my home town of Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. My interest was peaked.
You may ask what's happening there with ice and art? Well, the combination that gets the blood coursing through the veins of Winnipeggers is a popular Canadian board game called Crokinole paired with a challenging game on ice known as Curling. They come together as CROKICURL, considered Winnipeg's favorite faux sport.
Located at The Forks, a renowned, culturally redeveloped district at the confluence of the Red and Assiniboine rivers, Crokicurl became a new event, stemming from a contest about a decade ago that gathered artistic ideas for warming huts and other installations along the river banks. One example is a transparent ice cathedral by Anish Kapoor, a Cloud Gate sculptor.
Closer to home, take a trip to downtown St. Paul to see Winter Carnival ice carvings and the ice palace.
On a separate note, I recently attended two enchanting concerts worthy of special mention. Jeremy Johnston performed an ear opening marimba concert at UWRF. Keep an eye out for his possible return. In addition the father/daughter cello/marimba duo recital at First Congregational UCC in downtown RF merits accolades. Eri Isomura plays the marimba with her heart and soul while Sachiya Isomura is a wonderfully accomplished cellist. They received a much deserved standing ovation.
Of note is the UCC's ongoing music series.
• Continuing through Sunday, Feb. 25, WRAP (Wisconsin Regional Art Program), River Falls Public Library, 140 Union St.
Artist Workshop: Saturday, Feb. 3, 11 a.m. to noon. 715-425-0905
Public Reception: Saturday, Feb. 3, noon to 2p.m. www.riverfallspubliclibrary.org
• The Frances Cohler Coffee Concert Series. All are free, Fridays at noon, Abbott Concert Hall, Kleinpell Fine Arts, UW-RF.
• Feb. 2, Ivan Konev, piano, with Minnesota Orchestra musicians.
• Feb. 9, Phil Kadidlo, piano.
• Feb. 16, Adam Kuenzel, flute and Layton "Skip" James, harpsichord
• March 9, St. Croix Valley Symphony Orchestra, a Young Artists Celebration, Gideon Scheeler, piano, Rebecca Tank, saxophone, Hannah Scheele, harp.
• Friday, Feb. 2, 5 to 9 p.m., First Friday reception, Seasons on St. Croix Gallery, 401 Second St., Hudson
• Saturday, Feb. 3, 7 p.m., The Roe Family Singers, Hastings Arts Center, 216 Fourth St. E., Hastings. https://www.hastingsartscenter.org; tickets $15 online, $10 at door.
• Sunday, Feb. 11, 3 p.m., Valentines Show with "From the Heart," $15 online, $20 at the door.
• Friday, Feb. 9, 4 to 7 p.m., Gallery 120 (Global M.A.D.E), 120 N. Main St., RF. Opening reception, photographers Wanda Brown, Deanna Grigus, Jens Gunelson, Charles Rader.
• Fridays and Saturdays, Feb. 16, 17, 23, 24, RF Community Theatre presents "Shorts and Stouts: An Evening of One-Act Comedies at the Tap House." Live music at 6 p.m., plays at 7 p.m., Junior's Grill and Tap House, Main and Cascade, RF. Tickets $12.
• Saturday, Feb. 17, 7 p.m., CAB Barn Dance with the Gritpickers at Montessori Elementary 421 W. Maple St., RF. Adults $5, children 12 and under, $2.50
• Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays, Feb. 22-24 and March 1-3, 7:30 p.m., Silent Sky, UWRF Davis Theatre, KFA, adults $10, seniors $8, students $5. 715-425-3114
• Tuesday, March 6, 5-7 p.m., Bowls for Hope; www.uwrf.edu/BowlsForHope. Tickets available now at UW-RF Information, University Center
• Call for artists to submit work for a juried exhibition, "Heart of the River: Celebrating the First 50 Years of the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway" at the Phipps Center for the Arts in Hudson, Sept. 14 to Oct. 21. Contact Nicole Pederson at Heartoftheriver2017@gmail.com.
• River Falls Community Theatre www.rfcommunitytheatre.org
• Gallery 120, 120 N. Main St., RF (at Global M.A.D.E.)
• Kinnickinnic Clayworks, 103 N. Main St., RF, 715-821-3982, www.kinniclay.com
• Fox Den Books, 120 S. Main St., RF, 715-425-6180, www.foxdenbooks.com
• The Phipps Center For The Arts, 109 Locust St. Hudson; thephipps.org
• www.breakawayarts.com , Hastings, 651-437-3779
• firstname.lastname@example.org. Hammond Arts Alliance
• River Falls Community Arts Base at Art's House, 108 E. Maple, invites artists to show at the gallery from March through December. Even if you haven't shown before, please consider exhibiting at Arts House. Artist openings monthly on second Fridays.
• Call for volunteers for CAB: contact Steve Preisler 715-425-7530.
• Join or renew your CAB membership. You'll receive newsletters, information on local arts events and an Arts Partner card with discounts and offers from local businesses and restaurants. 715-426-5219, email@example.com, www.riverfallscab.org