Weather Forecast


Local man won't zip it up; arrested for another battery

A 30-year-old River Falls man was told to stop urinating in the doorway of Steve's Pizza Palace at 2:30 a.m. Saturday. The person asking him to stop was the restaurant manager, who later explained to police: "I told him to please not pee in my door. He didn't stop what he was doing."

Before long the 30-year-old man allegedly attacked the manager, pushing him against the door and punching him until his lip bled. A friend nearby intervened on the manager's behalf. River Falls police responded quickly.

Turns out the 30-year-old suspect was arrested Oct. 25 at his rental house for attacking a fellow tenant by the refrigerator over a food dispute.

This time, he was given fines totaling $533 and taken to county jail in Ellsworth for violating his court-ordered probation.

Also last week, police:

--Arrested a 22-year-old River Falls man for disorderly conduct and bail jumping for a disturbance he allegedly caused at the Ground Zero bar on Main Street that led to a fight outside. The man allegedly made derogatory comments about the U.S. military, especially the army. These remarks occurred last Thursday -- Veterans Day. Several Ground Zero bar patrons took offense and, ultimately, there was a fight. When police found the suspect walking away on Main Street, his face was bloody from fighting. He was taken to county jail in Hudson.

--Cited a 16-year-old boy at the high school for disorderly conduct after he accidentally punched a 14-year-old girl in the face by the lockers. Supposedly he was trying to punch another boy on the arm. The blow to the girl's face caused her mouth to bleed, and she ran to the bathroom.

--A smashing pumpkins complaint at a residential garage in the 1600 block of River Ridge Road turned out to have more ominous overtones. A homemade plastic bottle explosive, often called a "MacGyver bomb," was found by the homeowner on his property. The device didn't go off and the liquid materials inside were drained to make sure it didn't blow. Police kept the plastic bottle as evidence. Because of similar local incidents involving so-called MacGyver bombs, the bottle was later sent to the state crime lab.

For more, please check Police Beat in the Nov. 17 print edition of the River Falls Journal.