Weather Forecast


New, easier way offered to file minor police reports

HUDSON - The St. Croix County Sheriff's Office is now offering residents a much more convenient and cost effective online alternative to filing a police report in person for minor offenses. Using solutions from Coplogic, Inc., the Sheriff's Office's Online Citizen Reporting System is improving the use of staff time and ensuring all stolen property is accurately reported and tracked.

"Especially with the economic cuts everyone is facing, we were looking for a way to allow more time for officers to be out on patrol instead of tied up with reports," said sheriff John Shilts. "Coplogic offers a solution that has a lot of merit for busy agencies that deal with time-consuming 'delayed' and 'no known suspect' type of reports."

The system reduces data entry for the sheriff's office, improves incident information accuracy and allows for faster investigations and reporting of minor incidents.

St. Croix County citizens can use Coplogic's web-based reporting system to file reports online for minor incidents such as theft, accidental damage to property, harassing/annoying phone calls, lost property, mischief complaints, vandalism and more.

After review and approval by a deputy, the information will be entered directly into the Records Management System. With retyping information, the deputy is able to create and send a report back to the resident and begin the investigation immediately.

"In addition to freeing up hours of deputy time from reporting, it is also allowing citizens more flexibility to report incidents at their leisure from their homes or offices," said Shilts. Completed reports can be printed and will also be able to view and print a Crime Victim Information sheet.

The system can be accessed by logging on to the St. Croix County Sheriff's Office Home Page at and clicking on "Citizen Online Reporting System;" and from there follow the prompts to complete the report.

Only incidents where the Sheriff's Office is the primary responsible law enforcement agency will be accepted. If the incident occurred within the jurisdiction of the municipal police agency, you must contact that agency.