Weather Forecast


Days Gone By

Submitted photos are always welcome for this column. Black and white or color photographs will be scanned and returned in original condition with photo credit given. Call Pat Hunter, 425-1561, for more information, or e-mail photos to


JULY 25, 1996

Headline of the week: "Four high school sophomores find medallion, split $500."

After Nelle Sivertsen, Daisy Woodard, Megan Healy and Cassidy Hovde scoured the woods near the Kinnickinnic River in the River Hills Subdivision, they spotted the medallion while resting on a park bench near Rocky Branch Elementary School.

Heather Anding, daughter of Randy and Eloise Anding, was named 1996 Miss River Falls along with Jenny Larson as second princess; Becky Swain, first princess; and Sandra Holter, Miss Congeniality.

It was a "squirrelly" Saturday morning when the city was hit with two power outages caused by squirrels getting into places they shouldn't.


JULY 24, 1986

Krista Williamson, daughter of Bruce and Jeanine Williamson, was named Miss River Falls. Other royalty included Alicia Robinson as first runner-up; Kelly Brenna, Miss Congeniality; and Shannon Nelson, second runner-up.

Linda and Bob Karras and kids, Robin, Angela and Jeff, found the River Falls Days medallion hidden on a cross country ski trail north of Hoffman Park.

Out of 60 entries in the bench press competition winners were Shawn Kane for his 440-pound lift and Mark Jenkins for his 405-lift.

The City Council passed a resolution asking the state highway department to give a higher priority to a four-lane highway, rather than a bypass.

New rules at the high school forbidding "excessive demonstrations of personal affection," possession of tobacco products during school hours, and student parking in the parking lot awaited students for next year. The parking ban was in effect for one year while construction on the high school addition progressed.


JULY 21, 1966

Five civic-minded organizations came to the rescue and donated funds to send the high school band on a goodwill tour to Duluth. Band Director John Sabaka was pleased to accept $150 from the Moose Lodge and $100 each from the Jaycees, American Legion, PTA and Lions Club. Previously the Band Boosters had raised $600 for this trip. Bandmembers themselves were holding car washes to help their cause.

In business since 1924 at the same spot, corner of North Main and Maple St., E.A. "Gene" Baird sold his oil business to St. Croix Oil Co.

At the start of his business Baird recalled having a 420-gallong delivery truck, which was the biggest in the area at the time."

Today the firm uses a 1,250-gallon tank on the truck. He recalled how farmers brought in barrels on sleighs pulled by horses to get kerosene and a little bit of gas.

"Our early business was mostly kerosene which was used for cooking and for lamps." He said the gas was mainly for "running as engines that were used for pumping water from wells." Those who had automobiles did not use gasoline in the winter time because "the cars were put on blocks and left to rest all winter."


AUG. 1, 1946

Harry Moody bought a four-passenger plane which will be used for charter flights from the local airport to anywhere in the United States, Canada or Mexico. The plane is the first such airship to come into Wisconsin.

George (Dugan) Larson Jr., was taken to the Vets Hospital at Fort Snelling, suffering from what thought might be polio, because of the prevalence of the disease in the Twin Cities and many neighboring towns.


JULY 23, 1936

Under the direction of playground directors Miss Marie Kelly and Coach Bud Manion, more than 60 boys and girls staged a bicycle parade on Main Street last week. Prizes went for artistic, funniest and most original. For the girls Marlys Oligney took first for artistic; Marcella Falteisek was runner-up; Lavina Gelo won most original for girls with Billy Wilcox winning the funniest. In the boys' section, James McLaughlin won artistic; Eurie Deiss and Russell Gerry were paired for funniest, and Charles and Roger White, with their pony, colt and chariot, took most original.


JULY 15, 1926

J. F. Milliken had the misfortune to find one of his best calves selected for rustling and butchering one night. An attempt was made to trace the theft after one of Milliken's dogs brought the calf's head home, but all that was found were tire tracks. The Milliken farm is located four miles north of this city.