Weather Forecast


Days Gone By

Submitted photos are always welcome for this column. Black and white or color photographs will be scanned and returned in original condition with photo credit given. Call Pat Hunter, 425-1561, for more information, or e-mail your photos to

NOTE TO READERS: Richard Freeman sent the following e-mail: "I note your May 2, 1946, Days Gone By column twice mentions Jack "Schubert." It's "Schuman." Jack Schuman, youngest of three boys raised by single mother. Jack died of an emergency appendectomy, I believe while at sea for the U.S. Navy.

In any event, Schuman, not Schubert.

P.S. Evie Boles was drop-dead gorgeous."

Thanks for the info Richard. It's perfectly clear in the 1946 paper that it's Jack Shuman and his queen, Evie Boles, who led the Grand March at the Junior-Senior Prom. Sometime over the years the name became misspelled and it's good to get it right, finally.

Does anyone out there have a photo of the prom? Please bring it in and we'll include in the next column.


May 9, 1996

Headline of the week: "Local woman prepares for bike trek to benefit AIDS cause." Tamara Brantmeier, daughter of Merle and Myrna Brantmeier, is in training. She will be part of a group of 1,700 riders joining the Twin Cities to Chicago AIDS Ride on July 1, raising funds for seven local AIDS-related organizations. Her goal is to raise $2,300 before riding the 60 to 100 miles per day, for a total of 450 miles.

Anglers found the lower part of the Kinnickinnic River below the dam appealing for an early Saturday morning start on the fishing season. With warm weather here and rain holding off, some anglers were out before 5:45 a.m.

Playwright and actor Sam Shepard's plans to build a writing studio in the area are OK'd by the Kinnickinnic Town Board, and new playground equipment is installed in two areas of Glen Park.

In local business news, Dr. Jeffrey Larsen joined the staff at the River Falls Medical Clinic as an internist, and Mike Larson opened Ironwood Design/Landscape.


May 8, 1986

Headline of the week: "Lifelong area farmer turns 100 today." Henry Austrum showed off cards he received for his 100th birthday, including one signed by President Ronald and Nancy Reagan.

The River Falls Junior High School got a new elevator, and the footbridge being worked on near West Cascade Street by Glen Park was close to re-opening.

Thieves made off with about $6,000 cash in burglaries of the River Falls Journal office and Lund's Hardware, as well as a VCR and color television from Coldwell Banker's Realty office.

LMK Business Systems, a new company specializing in sales and service of cash registers and office equipment, held its open house in its new location on Main Street.


May 6, 1976

Headline of the week: "Bomb threat at Ag-Science building."

A "deep male" voice called the UW athletic office shortly before 2 p.m. Thursday, and stated that "a bomb is in the agriculture science building on the campus." The building was evacuated and a search was made, involving campus security, River Falls Emergency Corps members, and River Falls and Pierce County officers. After nothing was found it was assumed to be a hoax.

Malmer Brothers Self Service Supermarket advertised canned tuna for 49 cents, sliced bacon for 99 cents per pound, and 3 lbs. of apples for 79 cents.

The Pierce County Homemakers hosted an eight-county area meet that included 245 homemakers enjoying workshops and competitions. Mrs. Georgia Hoberg, president-elect of the state homemaker's organization, and a resident of Pierce County, said this year's feature workshop on "quality programming" was "a first, and probably unique in the state."

River Falls Municipal Utilities encouraged people to save electricity with its "Wait Until Eight" campaign. Residents were asked to reschedule their major electrical consumption activities - like clothes washing and drying, vacuuming, and bathing - for hours in the middle of the afternoon or after 8 p.m.

Work on Heritage Park was nearly complete. Individuals contributed over 200 hours of volunteer work putting in benches, preparing the ground, and planting shrubs and trees.


May 5, 1966

Leary Construction was installing about 5,500 feet of new sewer mains through the university campus to hook into the disposal plant.

The swinging bridge at Glen Park was declared unsafe and closed for an indefinite period.

The River Falls Jaycettes sponsored a baton twirling contest recently. First place trophy winners included Robin Eggers, Lori Calentine, Renae Goulette, Bobbi Calentine and Mary Jorgenson. First place medals went to Cindy Pechacek, Becky Brown, Debbie Meyer, Pam Wagner, Becky Wagner, Lee Ann Rolison, Grace Dollahon, and Judy Driscoll.


May 3, 1956

Headline of the week: "Weatherman fails to cooperate for May Day; program carried through despite snow, cold."

Despite cold, raw weather, and light snow, thousands of visitors jammed into River Falls on Sunday to attend the "May Day-The U. S. Way" parade and festivities. State police estimated the crowd along the parade route at well over 10,000.

Young farmer, Jerome Lubich, 27, was fatally injured when the tractor he was operating overturned on him. He left behind a wife, Bonnie, and six-month-old daughter Susan, along with his mother, six sisters and five brothers.

Pat Williams, a junior from River Falls, was chosen as Campus Personality this week.

To add the spice of variety to dances, the high school student council decided that the dance held last week would feature the ever-popular, old-time music, with an occasional sprinkling of modern tunes. Students were asked to bring their favorite old-time records. "The Flying Dutchmen" proved to be the most popular, with second and third choices going to the schottische and the polka.


May 9, 1946

Headline of the week: "Mayor Bartosh issues warning about guns and the city dump."

As several children had recently been seriously burned, Mayor John Bartosh warned residents to keep their children away from the city dump, where a continual fire had been burning below the garbage; and as the use of firearms inside the city limits was prohibited, boys should stop using rifles while at the city dump and other places.

The third European bride to be welcomed to River Falls was Mrs. James Van Keuren, the former Ruby Bridges of Ipswich, Suffolk, England.

Ray Anding was the first St. Croix County farmer to use artificial breeding for cows. The American Scientific Breeding Institute, whose slogan is "It is far better to use an old bull with a high index than a young bull with high hopes," provided the service.

After a talk on DDT, that new chemical was expected to be shipped to Equity Elevator shortly.


May 7, 1936

Headline of the week: "Council revamps salaries, duties of city employees."

The City Council appointed Ray Roehl in charge of the water and sewer department, J.W. Patterson in charge of the electric crew, and H.L. Ostness in charge of the power house. Salaries were $130 per month for each, with other city employees receiving $110 per month.

River Falls just finished the coldest April in eight years, with an average temperature of 38.2 degrees.

Despite the cold, A.W. Lund Co. announced a fishing contest for the coming season.

The Dionne quintuplets were the stars of a film "The Country Doctor" that was shown at Falls Theatre.


May 6, 1926

Public school classes were in full swing after only two days of vacation forced by a fire that destroyed the school building. Classes were held in churches, club buildings, and the Normal School.

W. D. Carleton, the local contractor who built many early mansions in the area, died this week.

A fire caused by the explosion of an oil heater did $1,500 damage to Mayor Vanatta's house.

Dust storms blew so violently over River Falls, filling the atmosphere with dust clouds so dense that the sun was visible only as a dim, grey disk.


May 4, 1876

Journal editor Abner Morse encouraged citizens to plant trees.

Soon to be circulated were new shiny half dollars and quarters, instead of the old paper fragments that had been used for so long.

South River Falls was the name given to that portion of the village lying south of the South Fork river.