Weather Forecast


Days Gone By: January 1984 Eagle Scouts

New Eagle Scouts, from left: Bob Beix, Scott Richardson and Randy Prince. 1984 Journal file photo.

A Court of Honor was conducted by Troop 459 to recognize Boy Scouts Bob Beix, Randy Prince, and Scott Richardson on becoming Eagle Scouts.

Bob Beix’s project was developing a scenic trail in the new Kinnickinnic State Park. Bob and two other Scouts worked with the park ranger and adult leaders to clear a mile long hiking and cross country ski trail. Over ten feet wide, the trail winds through wooded areas and overlooks the mouth of the Kinnickinnic as it flows into the St. Croix River. A roofed sign with plexiglass face marking the entrance to the trail and a map of the park’s trail system was to be mounted in the sign.

Randy Prince’s project was entitled “Entertainment for the Elderly.” For a nine- month period he coordinated entertainment twice monthly for residents of the Kinnic Home in River Falls. Many piano teachers provided students and other area residents also entertained. Randy accompanied or played the piano.

The project chosen by Scott Richardson was restoration and expansion of the hillside walkway located near the River Falls Lower Dam. Deteriorated steps were improved and straightened and additional steps were cut into the hillside. The stairway access is located on a steep embankment leading to a scenic pathway along the Kinnickinnic River. The trail is used by many local residents who enjoy canoeing, skiing, fishing, and hiking.

Your photos and stories are always welcome for the Days Gone By column. Contact Pat Hunter at 715-425-1561 or email