Pomfret bests RFHS '500' record; 'Cat swimmers show well at MadisonSenior Roland Pomfret stroked to a new school record in the 500-yard freestyle swim at the Division 2 State Tournament at Madison Friday evening shortly after his teammate -- junior Andy Yelken -- placed 14th in diving competion -- the first River Falls diver to compete at the state level in 14 years.
By: Steve Dzubay, River Falls Journal
MADISON -- Six River Falls Wildcat swimmers stroked their way to respectable finishes in Friday's Division 2 State Swimming competition at the Natatorium at UW-Madison Friday afternoon and evening.
Senior Roland Pomfret bettered his 5:03:18 sectional qualifying time in the grueling 500-yard freestyle event by more than 4 seconds and shaved several hundreths of a second off the RFHS record with his performance Friday night.
Pomfret also took more than one second off his sectional time in the 200-yard freestyle event, finishing in 1:50:49, just two seconds behind first place winner Max Schimanski of McFarland.
Earlier Friday, Andy Yelken finished 14th among just 16 divers from 10 D2 schools statewide, completing 12 dives.
The team of Tim Weller, Navid Rahgozar, Daniel Schraufnagel and Andy Yelken took 13th place in the 200-yard medley relay event, finishing behind first place McFarland, which set a new record and second place Whitefish Bay.
River Falls' last event was the 200-yard freestyle relay. A team of Mike Schorn, Tim Weller, Schraufnagel and Pomfret finished last in the first heat but all eight teams were within two seconds of one another.
More details will be posted later when final results are available. The contests concluded about 8:15 p.m.
Hudson brothers Jay and Charlie Skinner competed Saturday in the Division 1 tournament with Jay swimming the 200-yard freestyle and Charlie competing in the 200-yard individual medley and 100-yard butterfly. Hudson also fielded teams in the 200- and 400-yard freestyle events.
The 200 and 400 Freestyle relay teams swam faster than any teams have in 15 years. Each narrowly missed bettering school records in the 200 and 400. Hudson placed 18th in each event. In the individual events, Jay Skinner placed 23rd in the 200 free, and Charlie Skinner placed 19th in the 200IM and 22nd in the 100 fly.
There were 111 teams in the 2010 boys swimming and diving tournament series. The largest 60 percent of (66) schools are in D1, with the remaining 40 percent (45) schools in D2. Schools are assigned directly into sectional competition with six sectionals in D1 and four in D2.