Peace Pole now part of church campus, dedication Aug. 30A seven-foot, black granite pole with the words “May Peace Prevail on Earth” inscribed on it in 12 languages was recently installed on the south side of St. Bridget Catholic Church.
A seven-foot, black granite pole with the words “May Peace Prevail on Earth” inscribed on it in 12 languages was recently installed on the south side of St. Bridget Catholic Church.
It’s known as a Peace Pole; the languages chosen to represent major language groups from around the world as well as the St. Bridget and River Falls communities.
St. Bridget’s pastor, Fr. Gerald Harris, will lead a Peace Pole dedication ceremony on Sunday, Aug. 30, at a time that will be announced at a later time.
The public is invited to attend and witness the intent to affirm a commitment to peace on behalf of the parish and the River Falls community.
The 12 languages on the pole, made in India, are: Arabic, Chinese, Czech, English, German, Hebrew, Hindi, Irish, Latin, Ojibwa, Spanish and Swahili.
The Peace Pole Project started in Japan in 1955 by Masahisa Goi, who decided to dedicate his life to spreading the message, “May Peace Prevail on Earth,” in response to the bombings on Hiroshima.
Since then, Peace Poles have been erected around the world as international symbols of peace. They are also meant to promote the healing of conflicts in places like Sarajevo, the Atomic Bomb Dome in Hiroshima, and the Allenby Bridge on the border between Israel and Jordan. Since the beginning of the project over 200,000 peace poles have been planted in over 200 countries around the world.