From the Sheriff: Ways parents can make Halloween safer1. Choose bright flame retardant costumes or add reflective tape. Carry a flashlight or a glow stick.
By: Nancy Hove, Pierce County Sheriff, Pierce County Herald
1. Choose bright flame retardant costumes or add reflective tape. Carry a flashlight or a glow stick.
2. Plan a route in a familiar neighborhood with well lit streets.
3. Never send young children out alone.
4. Always walk younger children to the door to receive their treats.
5. Be sure children don’t approach any vehicle.
6. Discuss basic pedestrian safety rules with your children.
7. Consider organizing a home or community party as an alternative.
8. Make sure your children know their home phone number and address just in case you get separated.
9. Teach children to say “No, this is not my mother or father” in a loud voice if they are approached by a stranger.
10. Remind them to remain alert and report any suspicious incidents to parents or law enforcement.
Please have a safe and fun Halloween!