Comedy show returns for 6th yearRFHS alum and professional comedian Tom Steffen once presents his “Tom Steffen & Friends” comedy show at the River Falls High School Theatre 7 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 10.
RFHS alum and professional comedian Tom Steffen once presents his “Tom Steffen & Friends” comedy show at the River Falls High School Theatre 7 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 10.
Steffen, who relocated to New York in 2011, and more recently has been splitting time between New York and the Twin Cities, is excited to be back for a sixth show.
“We had such an amazing turnout last year, and such a great time,” he said. “Both my parents and I have been fielding questions for the last few weeks about when the next show is going to be, and here it is.
“It’s great that I can help raise money for the high school band, which was an important part of my own high school career, and do it in such a fun way.”
As always, Steffen will host, with performances from four additional professional stand-up comedians.
This year’s line-up:
- Tom Steffen, performed at the 2009 CBC Winnipeg Comedy Festival, including a TV special that airs on the CBC network in Canada, and the 2009 Great American Comedy Festival at the Johnny Carson Theatre in Norfolk, Nebraska.
- Dave Johnson, a lifelong Minneapolis resident who performs at clubs and other venues all over the Midwest. He’s performed at Johnnie’s Bar in River Falls twice over the past few years.
- Amber Preston , a proud native of Fargo, N.D., she was recently named one of “five comedians to watch” in New York Magazine, and was the 2012 “Best of the Midwest” winner at the Gilda’s Laughfest Comedy Festival.
- Wendy Maybury, originally from the South, she is one of the Twin Cities’ hottest up-and-coming comedians. She was runner-up in the 2011 “Funniest Person with a Day Job” contest at Rick Bronson’s House of Comedy in Mall of America.
- Tim Harmston has been on every “Tom Steffen & Friends” show except last year, which he only missed due to a scheduling conflict. He is from Menomonie, and has been on “The Late Show” with David Letterman and “Comedy Central.”
“The band and the community are very lucky to have Tom and his friends perform for us year after year. The comedy is really high caliber and the price can’t be beat”, says Kathleen Stenersen, local band member parent.
Steffen gives the show its usual PG rating.
“We do what’s called a ‘TV-clean’ show,” he says. “There’s no profanity or dirty humor. The PG rating is to remind people that stand-up comedy is not really fun for small children.”
Admission is $10 for adults, $5 for students, and benefits the River Falls High School Band.
The show is expected to last about two hours with a brief intermission. Concessions will be available.
Advance tickets can be bought at The Dish and the Spoon Café in River Falls or by contacting Tom’s parents, John & Kathy Steffen, at 715-425-6982.
Tickets will also be available at the door.