Hospital names new ED directorDr. Thomas Monahan is the new Emergency Department (ED) medical director at the River Falls Area Hospital. He is part of the River Falls Medical Clinic physician group.
Dr. Thomas Monahan is the new Emergency Department (ED) medical director at the River Falls Area Hospital. He is part of the River Falls Medical Clinic physician group.
As new medical director of the River Falls Emergency Department, Monahan said he will be responsible for seeing that there is a “qualified physician available in the department 24/7 to provide high-quality evaluation and stabilization of any patient presenting with a medical complaint.”
To do this he will be involved with:
- Recruitment, credentialing, and continuing education of emergency physicians.
- Establishment of departmental policies and procedures to ensure the provision of high-quality medical care to all patients.
- Developing and maintaining quality assurance and performance improvement activities for the department.
- Scheduling of physicians in the Emergency Department.
- Bringing new technologies and treatments to the department.
- Assisting with resolution of patient questions and concerns regarding their emergency care.
- Coordination of departmental relationships with community police, fire, and EMS services.
- Ensuring the department complies with state and federal regulatory mandates.
Monahan grew up in Rochester, Minn. He received a bachelor’s in psychology with emphasis in chemistry from St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minn., in 1976.
Monahan completed his medical school, internship, and residency at University of Minnesota.
His past jobs include associate medical director at Riverside Medical Center Emergency Department in Minneapolis; and medical director at Lakeview Hospital Emergency Department in Stillwater.
Monahan is certified by the American Board of Emergency Medicine.
He is also a Fellow of the American College of Emergency Physicians and the American Academy of Emergency Medicine.
Monahan lives in Stillwater with Amy, his wife of 26 years. The couple has three daughters.