TOWN OF RIVER FALLS: ORDINANCE NO. 2011 - 4An Ordinance to Continue Using a portion of 720th St. and to Establish 800th Ave., 925th St. and 920th St. for ATV Travel
An Ordinance to Continue Using a portion of 720th St. and to Establish 800th Ave., 925th St. and 920th St. for ATV Travel
WHEREAS the Town of River Falls has authority under Wis. Stat. Sec. 23.33(8)(b) to adopt an All Terrain Vehicle Route ordinance; and
WHEREAS the Town Board desires to establish a certain designated All Terrain Vehicle Route and regulations in the Town;
NOW THEREFORE, the Town Board of the Town of River Falls does hereby ordain as follows:
Section 1. Section 7.04 of the General Code of Ordinances is amended to read as follows:
“7.04 All Terrain Vehicle Route.
(1) No person may operate an all-terrain vehicle on the roadway portion of any highway in the Town except on roadways that are designated as all-terrain vehicle routes in this Section. Operation of all-terrain vehicles on a roadway in the Town that is an all-terrain vehicle route is authorized only for the extreme right side of the roadway except that turns may be made from any part of the roadway that is safe given prevailing conditions. On paved roadways all-terrain vehicles must be operated on the paved portion of the roadway and not on the gravel shoulder.
(2) The following road(s) are designated all-terrain vehicle routes in the Town provided there be first installed thereon “ATV Route signs”: 720th St. from intersection of 650th Ave. north to the Town Line, Section 36; 800th Ave., Section 17 & 18; 925th St., Section 17 and 18; and 920th St., Section 17. All designated routes are located in T27N/R18W.
(3) All-terrain vehicle routes shall be marked with uniform signs by the Pierce County ATV Association in accordance with Section NR 64.12(7) Wis. Admin. Code.
(4) No person may do any of the following in regard to signs marking Town all-terrain vehicle routes:
1. Intentionally remove, damage, deface, move or obstruct any uniform all-terrain vehicle route or trail sign or standard or intentionally interfere with the effective operation of any uniform all-terrain vehicle route or trail sign or standards if the sign or standard is legally placed by the State, any municipality or any authorized individual.
2. Possess any uniform all-terrain vehicle route or trail sign or standard of the type established by the Department of Natural Resources for the warning, instruction or information of the public, unless he or she obtained the uniform all-terrain vehicle route or trail sign or standard in a lawful manner. Possession of a uniform all-terrain vehicle route or trail sign or standard creates a rebuttable presumption of illegal possession.
(5) Operation of all-terrain vehicles on Town roads shall be subject to the provisions of Section 23.33, which Section is adopted and made a part of this Section by reference.
(6) In addition to the provisions of Wis. Stats. Sec. 23.33, the following rules shall apply to the use and operation of all-terrain vehicles on all-terrain vehicle routes in the Town:
1. All ATV operators shall observe a speed limit of 40-mph or the posted roadway speed limit, whichever is lower.
2. All ATV operators shall ride/drive single file.
3. The allowed hours of operation shall be from 6:00 a.m. to sunset during Daylight Savings Time and from 6:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. during Standard Time.
4. All ATV operators at least 12 years old and born on or after January 1, 1988 shall possess a valid state-issued ATV Safety Certificate.
5. All ATV operators ages 12 and under 16 must be under the direct supervision of a parent or legal guardian at all times when operating on a designated all-terrain vehicle route.
(7) Any person violating any provision of this Ordinance shall be subject to the penalty provided under Wis. Stats. Section 23.33 (13)(a), as from time to time amended, plus costs of prosecution.
Section 2. A copy of this Ordinance shall be furnished to the Office of the Pierce County Sheriff and the Department of Natural Resources ATV Section.
Section 3. This Ordinance shall take effect on May 1, 2012 after publication or posting as required by law. If any provision of this Ordinance is held invalid, the invalidity shall not affect any other provision that can be given effect without such invalid provision, the provisions of this Ordinance being severable.
Section 4. Unless there is action taken by the Town Board this Ordinance shall automatically be renewed.
Adopted by the River Falls Town Board on November 7, 2011.
(Pub. 11/17/11) WNAXLP