Sections

Weather Forecast

Close
Advertisement
Firefighters responded to a residential garage fire around 8:30 p.m. Monday, Nov. 8 at W 9878 690th Ave. in the town of River Falls. A couple was home at the time and had evacuated without injury.

Fire consumes garage

Email Sign up for Breaking News Alerts
news River Falls, 54022
River Falls Journal
715-425-5666 customer support
River Falls Wisconsin 2815 Prairie Drive / P.O. Box 25 54022

Firefighters responded to a residential garage fire around 8:30 p.m. Monday, Nov. 8 at W 9878 690th Ave., a home owned by Greg Huppert in the town of River Falls. A couple was home at the time and had evacuated without injury.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Fire Chief Scott Nelson said upon arrival, firefighters poured water alternately on the garage fire, the house and a nearby LP tank estimated to be 500 gallons. He said the tank was hot to the touch and needed to be cooled.

The chief said embers from the chimney of a wood-burning heater probably caused the fire, which also ignited a nearby wood pile. Flames destroyed the garage and ruined some of the home's exterior siding. Smoke marred the inside of the home.

Nelson said there is no dollar estimate of the fire damages yet.

Firefighters received the call just as they finished a training session and everyone was still in the fire hall.

"So we had a great response," said Nelson.

Six firefighters stayed at the station to field calls, and 29 responded to the fire, finishing their work about 9:45 p.m. Also responding to the scene were River Falls Ambulance, a Pierce County sheriff's deputy, as well as personnel and equipment from the Prescott and Ellsworth Fire Departments.

Nelson said as burning wood becomes more and more popular, he advises people to place the burners carefully - a good distance away from anything flammable.

Advertisement
news@riverfallsjournal.com
Advertisement
Advertisement
randomness