Sections

Weather Forecast

Close
Advertisement

Days Gone By

Email Sign up for Breaking News Alerts
columns River Falls, 54022
River Falls Journal
715-425-5666 customer support
River Falls Wisconsin 2815 Prairie Drive / P.O. Box 25 54022

10 YEARS AGO, MAY 22, 2003

Glen Park pool was set to open Memorial Day weekend, announced Parks and Rec Director Cindy Danke. She said a new liner is in and all ready to go and a brand new slide has been installed. Daily fees were $1.50 for those 5 and older, with season passes $25 each.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Cadette Girl Scout Kiersen Gordon created a system of painted garbage cans to be placed on Second Street and information boards at the schools for her silver scouting award.

New outdoors columnist and professional biologist Dan Wilcox of rural River Falls, wrote his first column, "The Wild Side" in this week's River Falls Journal.

20 YEARS AGO, MAY 27, 1993

This year's Memorial Day observances were to include a parade, brief services at four local cemeteries, formal program at Greenwood Cemetery, and a special salute to World War II veterans. The names of all local World War II soldiers who died in that war were to be read aloud during ceremonies, and Auxiliary President Dorothy Phillips was to pay tribute to Gold Star Mothers. Speaker Assemblywoman Sheila Harsdorf, a children's chorus, and the high school band playing patriotic numbers and a firing squad to salute the honored dead were also included in the activities.

A special article in the Journal featured an interview with George Korbel and his wife Mary Ann, recounting his ordeal as a German prisoner of war.

1968 high school graduate Charles Struemke was retiring after 25 years of active service in the Army with 24 of them as an aviator. He holds two bronze star medals, one purple heart, three meritorious service medals, the air medal with 'V' combat device; two army commendation medals; three army achievement medals, and the army master aviator badge. He will also receive the Legion of Merit upon his retirement.

30 YEARS AGO, May 26, 1983

Starting this Sunday, River Falls bars could now open at 11 a.m. and start serving beers, wines and liquors. Up to now, 12:30 p.m. was the earliest they could open on Sundays.

New location for FISH Clothing is at the city-owned Ingram Center, 210 N. Lewis St. Previous location was at the Congregational Church.

High school golfers Paul Meyer, Kevin Kusilek, Tim Thompson, Kevin Kealy and David Schrank took regional honors here.

Andrew Foster, Scott Hove, Mary Ann Beck, Heather Kees and Craig Peterson were among those confirmed at the Congregational Church.

40 YEARS AGO, MAY 31, 1973

Marlin Thompson was named valedictorian and Laura Delaplain salutatorian of the high school graduating class this year.

Thanks to the American Legion chicken fry held recently the River Falls Scouting program was $190 richer.

UW-River Falls honored Louis Daniel, Richard Delorit and Neal Stoddard with distinguished alumni awards.

60 YEARS AGO, MAY 28, 1953

The American Legion medal was presented to Allan Kind, a River Falls High School senior who had been outstanding in scholarship, personality, character and athletics. Along with Kind, Bob Bouvin was awarded scholastic scholarship; Luanne Larson named the most outstanding citizen by the D.A.R.; and Robert Day won the Lang award and athletic scholarship.

Gary Herum and Carol Anding were named Badger State scholars this year.

70 YEARS AGO, MAY 27, 1943

The Park Board announced the swimming pool at Glen Park will be opening Sunday, May 30, if water temperature was 72 degrees. Mrs. Dan Moss is to be matron and Eva Jean and Helen Ann Linehan lifeguards.

A record of perfect attendance for the entire year was held by Ruby Roehl and Kirby Symes in the eighth grade and by Arlene Obermueller and Norman Helgeson in the seventh grade.

Grocery specials included pig's feet, 28 oz. jar, 35 cents; River Falls Creamery butter, 53 cents/lb.; sandwich bread, 11 cents/loaf; brown sugar 7 cents/lb.; and wax paper 17 cents/100-ft. roll.

80 YEARS AGO, May 25, 1933

Adolph Tyler, manager of River Falls Ice Co., new ice service in town, announced a cash and carry station located at 301 S. Main Street, where ice may be had an anytime during the day for 30 cents per 100 pounds.

Walter Glass, owner of the purebred Belgian stallion Paramount Faceur, offered the horse's service for $15 per live colt.

Note to Readers: Your photos and stories are always welcome, email Pat Hunter at PatHunter or call 715-425-1561.

Advertisement
news@riverfallsjournal.com
Advertisement
Advertisement