Submitted photos are always welcome for this column. Black and white or color photographs will be scanned and returned in original condition with photo credit given. Call Pat Hunter, 425-1561, for more information, or e-mail photos to firstname.lastname@example.org.
10 YEARS AGO
JULY 4, 1996
Headline of the week: "Logo winner anxious to savor River Falls Days."
David Tostrud's depiction of an old man, a middle-aged woman and a young child near a park bench along White Pathway on the Kinnickinnic River was chosen for the River Falls Days theme this year of "Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow." The son of Judy and James Tostrud, he is a recording artist and equipment operator for 3M.
Hogan, the River Falls police dog, placed first in obedience during certification trials in Duluth, Minn., last week. Patrol Officer Mike Reardon has been paired Hogan for three years, and is the only officer to use the dog.
Demand is high, space is limited. Varying classes -- marketing principles, basic algebra, industrial engineering, insurance, bartending, first aid, even a high school equivalency diploma -- caused Chippewa Valley Technical College to outgrow its space at 715 N. Main St. Plans were to purchase four acres in back of Moody's auto dealership between South Wasson Lane and the Hwy. 65 bypass.
20 YEARS AGO
JULY 3, 1986
Headline of the week: "Hail levels Swenson corn."
The Ardis and John Swenson farm in the town of Kinnickinnic was hit by a storm that leveled a 16-acre field of corn, lifted the shingles off the roof, causing water six- to eight-inches deep in the kitchen, and chipped a hayrack and fence so badly, they will have to be repainted. A large corn field on the Randy Peskar farm across the road from Swensons was also leveled.
UW Aid Director John Laird was appointed by President Ronald Reagan to a 17-member national committee to review educational opportunities for women.
Todd Cernohous, 1986 high school graduate, repeated as champion in the ninth annual Pierce-St. Croix-Dunn Counties Insurance Agents youth golf tourney.
Grocery specials included bratwurst at $1.48/lb., sirloin steak $2.68/lb., and seedless grapes, 79 cents/lb.
30 YEARS AGO
JULY 1, 1976
Headline of the eek: "Bells to ring here Sunday to herald nation's birthday."
A countywide observance of the national program of bell ringing to commemorate the bicentennial included church and public bells being run between two and five minutes beginning at 1 p.m., July 4. The Pierce County Historical Society urged anyone with bells, including old dinner bells on farms, to join in.
The Roen Ford boys will be shooting their authentically designed Civil War cannon at 8 p.m. behind the garage. The cannon has been on display in the show room.
Quality Meats & Seafood, owned by William Liddle, was located in Dick's Barbershop, 208 N. Main St. Specials included ground beef patties, $9.90/10-lb. box, Armour bacon $1.59/lb., boneless ham $1.79/lb., and haddock fillets $1.39/lb.
40 YEARS AGO
JUNE 30, 1966
Headline of the week: "New Miss River Falls chosen."
River Falls Carnival Days were held last week with the new Miss River Falls being crowned -- 18-year-old Barb Petricka.
The Spielhaus, new bar and dance place, next to the roller rink north of River Falls on Hwy. 35, opened up under the ownership if Mr. and Mrs. Doug Jenkins.
The Chauncey King family members were again manning their fruit and vegetable stand. UW music professor and high school teacher, Mr. and Mrs. King and their three sons -- Richard, Bruce and David, raise and sell fresh produce in the summer at their "King's Country Gardens" building on Hwy. 35 N. They grow most of the items on their little farm west of River Falls.
In honor of Independence Day Commander Glen Duven of the American Legion announced there would be ringing of bells, chimes and carillons for four minutes beginning at 2 p.m. All citizens were asked to pause as the bells begin to ring and reflect upon the significance of Independence Day.
50 YEARS AGO
JUNE 28, 1956
Headline of the week: "Lightning strikes at McCoy; twelve RF Guardsmen burned."
While on bivouac (overnight encampment) at Camp McCoy a tent was struck by lightning and set on fire. Guardsmen Bob Bruegger, Lorin Frey, Farnum Fuller, Jack Helmer, LeRoy Kusilek, Don Jensen and Ronald Pace, all of River Falls, and Lloyd Olson of Hudson, were treated for first and second degree burns; while Bill Armbruster, Jack Shield, Willard Schultz, Frederick Smith and James Prouch received what was described as "sunburned" type burns.
Boys and girls 14 and older were wanted for detassling at Jacques Seed Co. in Prescott. Wages were 60 cents an hour with free transportation and good supervision.
The mayor requested citizens to place all debris over the bank at the new city dump. Those who do not cooperate would be dealt with most severely.
60 YEARS AGO
JULY 4, 1946
A World War II casualty list for the Army listed 46 dead or missing from St. Croix County and 56 from Pierce County.
After 32 years in the business, 22 of them in this city, Francis Kelly sold his Kelly Kleaners cleaning and tailoring business to Paul Doetkott of Minneapolis.
With the end of the war, the dry milk plant of the River Falls Cooperative Creamery was changing from direct military market to that of feeding the hungry in Europe and Asia.
Crew at the plant included O. R. Wilkins, manager; Jerry Halada, Nora Clark, Jas. Hunter, Dorothy Krauth, Willard Albertson, Harriet Long, Art Smith, Rhoda Dopkins, Stewart Kohl, Lawrence Johnson, Bill Karras, Everett Campbell, Roy Parmeter, Ed Fischer, Art Johnson, Roman Maier, Otto Schardin, Lynn Johnson, Harold Hanson, Ed Kealy, Iva Clark, Jane Plante, Ronald Hilbert, Dean Wilkins, Bobby Smith, Kenneth Stremke, Chas. Kahler, Leo Fischer, Edward Kakak, Chris Nelson and George Weishaar.
80 YEARS AGO
JULY 1, 1926
A group of taxpayers were objecting to the amount of money to be spent on the new building to replace the burned-down school, saying that the money should be spent for "academic" facilities rather than for an auditorium and gym. That group was asking that more members who are in sympathy with those ideas be added to the school board.
The school board responded with an explanation that, "While the general plan of the proposed building does not conform to the building of 50 years ago, the attempt has been made to have it meet all the requirements of the present day school. The standards of today are quite clearly defined by authorities, and every effort has been made to embody them in all the departments of the building."