Cigarette butt sparks grass, barn fire
A rural Lake Tomahawk man found out the hard way during the weekend that Wisconsin's wild fire season isn't over yet.
Authorities said he tossed a cigarette butt on his property and drove into town. The tiny spark started his grass on fire after he left - and about an acre of land was destroyed before the flames burned his barn down. The incident happened May 25 in an area with a moderate risk for wildfires.
The state DNR says about the northern quarter of Wisconsin has a moderate fire danger, and four counties along Lake Superior have a high risk - Douglas, Bayfield, Ashland, and Iron. The rest of the state has a low risk of wildfires after a wet Memorial Day in many areas.