Weather Forecast

A cleanup crew of Kinnickinnic Historical Association volunteers stands in front of the memorial garden while preparing the old church for next month's ice cream social. Shown are, in back: Amy Thurston, Dick Tresselt and Ellen Rider; middle: Mary Murphy and Shirley Tresselt; front: Laura Bond. Phil Pfuehler photos

Back to the future: Historic church still beckons

Email News Alerts

The little clapboard church in Kinnickinnic went up shortly after the Civil War when Ulysses S. Grant was president.

Built for $2,000, it opened in December 1868 and was shared by the area's Methodists and Congregationalists for services on alternate Sundays.


The Methodist design included pews with a divider down the middle keeping men and women on opposite sides. A bell in the tower was reportedly given by a Mississippi steamboat captain.

Get the full story
Subscribe or Log In

Phil Pfuehler
Phil Pfuehler has been editor of the River Falls Journal since 1991.
(715) 426-1050